Monday, January 27, 2014

Detroit vs. Everybody Response

The article "Detroit vs. Everybody" was an article that I actually found to be very informative. Detroit is one of those places that has obtained a reputation as being a place of ruin and loss; a sinking ship. I admit that I've personally never given Detroit much thought, I've read a few articles about its financial decay and heard a few people talk about how it's dying, but I've never been there and have never actually put in any thought to what living there would be like. This article did a good job to illustrating that, dying or no, it's still a city like any other. There are people who like and work and go about their normal lives, unfazed by the economical state of their city. Few people visit, understandable given Detroit's reputation, but beyond that it's probably no different than anywhere else. The pictures were particularly effective since words would likely have been ignored. "I doubt this one guy is right where dozens of others are wrong, the city must be dying." we'd likely think to ourselves. The pictures made it impossible for us, as readers, to ignore the fact that there is beauty in Detroit. Despite the beauty though, I still don't think I'd want to go there. The city is in a bad state right now and I feel like, despite this article, there is a lot more that going on in that city than was written in the article. The writer was only in Detroit for three days and only visited the most tourist-oriented locations. I'm not fully convinced that Detroit isn't what I've always heard. That being said however, this article did convince me that Detroit isn't nearly as bad as my passing imaginings liked to pretend it was. I still don't want to visit, but I'm not as opposed to the idea as I would have been before reading the article.
                                                                                                                 - Garrett Garcia

No comments:

Post a Comment